hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpCore NIO performance improvements
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:05:45 GMT
On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 12:26 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi Oleg
> > I made really major changes to HttpCore NIO in order to reduce packet
> > fragmentation on the TCP level when transmitting relatively short (less
> > than 1 TCP frame) entity enclosing messages. In my tests I am seeing 25
> > to 30% performance improvements for short PUT and POST requests on the
> > client side and for short responses the server side as a result of
> > reduced TCP packet fragmentation.
> This is interesting.. What was the size of the messages that yielded the
> improvement? Does this also relate to the use of tcpnodelay

2048 bytes. I was using this micro-benchmark to compare performance of
different versions. I had tcpnodelay set to true for all test scenarios.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/benchmark/httpcore/trunk/

> > The downside is that all this comes at the price of destabilizing areas
> > of code that have been well tested and stable for years. I made sure
> > that those areas have close to 100% unit test coverage, but still there
> > can be regressions.
> >
> > I would be enormously thankful if you could take the latest SVN trunk
> > for a spin and test it with your applications. I would be interesting to
> > know if the latest changes actually translate into any tangible
> > performance gains at the application level.
> During our migration, at one point we also did migrate to 4.3-alpha1 -
> so it would be something we would love to do, but it will need some more
> time, as we are yet to finalize the fallback to 4.2.x..

HttpCore 4.3 should be backward compatible with 4.1 and 4.2. You should
be able to drop it in place of an older version and see improved
performance.

Oleg