hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject HttpCore NIO performance improvements
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:47:02 GMT
Folks

I made really major changes to HttpCore NIO in order to reduce packet
fragmentation on the TCP level when transmitting relatively short (less
than 1 TCP frame) entity enclosing messages. In my tests I am seeing 25
to 30% performance improvements for short PUT and POST requests on the
client side and for short responses the server side as a result of
reduced TCP packet fragmentation.

The downside is that all this comes at the price of destabilizing areas
of code that have been well tested and stable for years. I made sure
that those areas have close to 100% unit test coverage, but still there
can be regressions.

I would be enormously thankful if you could take the latest SVN trunk
for a spin and test it with your applications. I would be interesting to
know if the latest changes actually translate into any tangible
performance gains at the application level.

Another interesting thing. For the first time I have seen NIO transports
outperform blocking ones with as few as 100 concurrent connections when
using the latest Java 6 or Java 7 Oracle JREs. It used to take 1000 or
more concurrent connections a few years back. I am now very curious to
see if I can make HttpAsyncClient outperform HttpClient with, say, 250
concurrent connections.

Cheers

Oleg