hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Http Async Client stability for production use
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2013 17:17:05 GMT
On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 11:26 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We are in the process of migrating our code to the latest versions of
> HttpCore / NIO and I was wondering how stable the Async Client is right
> now for possible production use. Should we expect many more releases /
> major API changes until it becomes GA, or are we close to a GA being in
> the 3rd beta?
>
> regards
> asankha

Hi Asankha

I think HttpAsyncClient 4.0-beta3 is quite stable as far as I can tell
by feedback from users. There has been only one serious bug reported
(HTTPASYNC-34, fixed in trunk). A few months back CXF project chose it
over all other HTTP clients as their default async client side HTTP
transport after extensive evaluation. They seem to be OK.

Having said that I have been doing a lot of refactoring on it in my
local repository to improve performance and am also planning to migrate
it to HttpCore 4.3 API. There will be a period of instability ahead and
I do not expect it to go GA soon. If you do no not need a full blown
HTTP client with proxy, auth and cookie support stick to HttpCore for a
few more months.

Oleg