hc-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Strange behavior - does this sound familiar to anyone?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:14:19 GMT
Hi all,

For the ManifoldCF release, we've been having problems with our Solr
connector, which uses Solrj which in turn uses
HttpComponents/HttpClient to connect to Solr.

The behavior we've been seeing is that when multiple document uploads
to Solr are taking place at the same time, we see SocketExceptions
that we shouldn't be seeing.  These are of the general "broken pipe"
variety, and seem to be consistent with someone somewhere closing a
socket that should not be getting closed.  It is furthermore not clear
whether the problem is on the client side or on the server side.

On the client side, we have a connection pool and DefaultHttpClient
instance per thread.  I've reviewed all the code we use to set up the
DefaultHttpClient and also the SolrJ code that performs the actual
upload.  While I can see where there might be issues (such as unclosed
connections) under some usage scenarios, not only are we avoiding any
of these questionable usage scenarios, but also we are never sharing
HttpClient objects among threads.  This leads me to believe that the
problem is on the server side.  However, this is difficult for my
colleagues to accept, so I wish to ask the question: is it even
possible for HttpClient to close sockets in a cross-thread manner?

Also, FWIW, I believe that this issue may have been around a fairly
long time, but has been masked by automatic retries in the past.

Karl