hc-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any possibility of including fixes for HTTPCLIENT-1266 and HTTPCLIENT-1268 in the 4.2.3 release?
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 13:52:34 GMT
On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 05:15 -0500, Karl Wright wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> ManifoldCF's current release is planned for 12/31/2012.  It would be
>> great if that release could include fixes for the NTLM issues
>> mentioned above.  ManifoldCF currently builds/runs against HttpClient
>> 4.2.2.  Who is doing the release planning for 4.2.3, and what would
>> your thinking on this matter be?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Karl
>>

> Karl
>
> We do not have a formal release road map. Things happen as they happen.
> Generally we tend to have a release every 3 to 4 months.
>
> I am trying to get the first ALPHA version of 4.3 released soon. I would
> like to cut the 4.2.3 release at the same time.
>
> I am between contracts right now and most likely will have time to work
> on HttpClient in the coming weeks or even months but cannot really
> promise those releases will happen before year's end.
>
> If you do not want to depend on our somewhat chaotic release cycle there
> is always an option to create a SVN copy of the class in the
> ManifoldCF's namespace and eliminate it in a future release once
> HttpClient 4.2.3 GA becomes available.
>
> Does this sound acceptable?
>
> Oleg

Hi Oleg,

Usually ManifoldCF has some flexibility as to releases, so it seems
like there are some choices we have.

First, we could simply wait.  If 4.2.3 comes in December or January,
either is reasonable and we can work with that.  My question was
designed to figure out what the intent was, and it sounds like your
goals may well be compatible with ManifoldCF's goals.

Second, we could go ahead and override things.  But then the question
becomes, where is the NTLMEngineImpl class instantiated, and how easy
is it to just instantiate a ManifoldCF class instead?  If this is
reasonably "pluggable" - e.g. if there is a registry of some kind -
this would be possible to do also, as a stopgap.  But I'd prefer not
to do this unless utterly necessary, since there are about a
half-dozen connectors that would all need to do this override
individually.

Thanks,
Karl