hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject HC coding conventions and guidelines
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2012 15:06:16 GMT
Folks

Some while ago there was an attempt made at compiling a list of coding
conventions and guidelines for the project [1]. Unfortunately those
efforts did not result in any concrete outcome other than a draft
document.

We have been getting more people on board in the past couple of months,
which is a good thing. However, this makes more important that there is
at least some simple but enforceable coding conventions in place.

While I am between contracts I can find time to work on things I never
managed to get around to in the past. I went ahead and added some very
rudimentary stylecheck definitions to HttpCore trunk [2]. They are:
mandatory ASLv2 header, maximum line length, checks for illegal and bulk
(star) imports, no tabs and trailing white spaces.

If you happen to like style checks (some people do) feel free to take a
look at what is already there and add more (provided the source code is
adjusted accordingly and the style checks pass).

I am going to add similar stuff to HttpClient and HttpAsyncClient in the
coming days.

Cheers

Oleg

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/CodingConventions