hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Any possibility of including fixes for HTTPCLIENT-1266 and HTTPCLIENT-1268 in the 4.2.3 release?
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 15:19:50 GMT
On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 08:52 -0500, Karl Wright wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 05:15 -0500, Karl Wright wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> ManifoldCF's current release is planned for 12/31/2012.  It would be
> >> great if that release could include fixes for the NTLM issues
> >> mentioned above.  ManifoldCF currently builds/runs against HttpClient
> >> 4.2.2.  Who is doing the release planning for 4.2.3, and what would
> >> your thinking on this matter be?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Karl
> >>

> > Karl
> >
> > We do not have a formal release road map. Things happen as they happen.
> > Generally we tend to have a release every 3 to 4 months.
> >
> > I am trying to get the first ALPHA version of 4.3 released soon. I would
> > like to cut the 4.2.3 release at the same time.
> >
> > I am between contracts right now and most likely will have time to work
> > on HttpClient in the coming weeks or even months but cannot really
> > promise those releases will happen before year's end.
> >
> > If you do not want to depend on our somewhat chaotic release cycle there
> > is always an option to create a SVN copy of the class in the
> > ManifoldCF's namespace and eliminate it in a future release once
> > HttpClient 4.2.3 GA becomes available.
> >
> > Does this sound acceptable?
> >
> > Oleg
> >

> Hi Oleg,
>
> Usually ManifoldCF has some flexibility as to releases, so it seems
> like there are some choices we have.
>
> First, we could simply wait.  If 4.2.3 comes in December or January,
> either is reasonable and we can work with that.  My question was
> designed to figure out what the intent was, and it sounds like your
> goals may well be compatible with ManifoldCF's goals.
>
> Second, we could go ahead and override things.  But then the question
> becomes, where is the NTLMEngineImpl class instantiated, and how easy
> is it to just instantiate a ManifoldCF class instead?  If this is
> reasonably "pluggable" - e.g. if there is a registry of some kind -
> this would be possible to do also, as a stopgap.  But I'd prefer not
> to do this unless utterly necessary, since there are about a
> half-dozen connectors that would all need to do this override
> individually.

Yes, it is fully pluggable as most things in HttpClient. One can
basically plug in any custom NTLM engine using the approach described in
the NTLM guide [1]. Instead of a JCIFS based engine in your case you
would simply use a private copy of NTLMEngineImpl.

Cheers

Oleg

[1] http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/ntlm.html