hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Svnpubsub for dist archives
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:34:17 GMT
On 25 November 2012 14:14, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 01:47 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> I propose to start working on setting up svnpubsub for dist/ archives,
>> i.e. releases. This is an infra requirement which has to be done by
>> the start of next year.
>>
>> First stage is to create the dev and release SVN trees under
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>>
>> and get commit messages sent to the appropriate mailing list.
>>
>> I assume that the most suitable list is:
>>
>> commits@hc.a.o
>>
>> which is where all the other commits go.
>>
>> Finally we ask Infra to enable svnpubsub; after that point all
>> releases will need to be done via the dist SVN repo.
>>
>> I suggest that svnpubsub is only enabled after the current release
>> votes are completed, but the SVN directories and mailing lists can be
>> set up now.
>>
>> The idea is that release candidates are uploaded to the staging area
>>
>> dev/httpcomponents/
>>
>> for review; once the vote passes the files are renamed to
>>
>> release/httpcomponents/
>>
>> This can be done with individual SVN commands, but it is much better
>> to use svnmucc which can move all the files in a single transaction.
>>
>> I hope to be able to create a script to generate the svnmucc command
>> list from Maven pom and assembly files but if not it's not too
>> difficult to create the commands by hand.
>>
>> This will require a minor change to the release vote process.
>> The files need to be uploaded to the new shared staging area, not
>> individual user home directories. And the publish process will require
>> using SVN rather than copy, but it can be done without needing to
>> login to people.
>>

> Sebastian
>
> I am aware we have to migrate our web site content generation to
> svnpubsub. I was planning to work on it over Christmas (western style).
> I had no idea dist archives had to be migrated as well. Probably both
> migrations should be carried out at the same time.

I don't think there's any need to co-ordinate the changes.

> If possible, I would like to have two more releases (HttpClient 4.2.3
> and HttpClient 4.3-alpha1) with the old release process simply to avoid
> unnecessary delays due to administrative or organizational issues. Once
> HttpCore and HttpClient 4.3a1 are out and available for review by a
> larger community we could concentrate on re-aligning our release process
> with the ASF policies. I hope you'll agree.

The change to the dist processing is much simpler than the potential
changes needed to support svnpubsub for the site.
Also, I won't be able to work on either over Christmas.

However, if you don't want to enable svnpubsub for dist archives until
later that's OK by me as you are generally the RM.

> However, preparatory work such as requesting SVN directories and setting
> up mailing lists could be started immediately and done in parallel with
> getting HttpClient 4.3a1 released.

I'll start with that.