hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecated code policy
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:27:15 GMT
On 22 November 2012 13:46, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks
>
> There are lots of changes planned for the 4.3 series that will require
> many of the old implementation classes to be deprecated in favor of
> newer ones with a different API. While the amount of deprecated code
> will be moderate in HttpCore there will be LOTS of it in HttpClient. We
> should start thinking how we want to go about deprecated code in the 4.x
> code line.
>
> (1) We could keep deprecated functionality indefinitely to maximize
> compatibility. In this case we should start thinking about 5.0 and API
> incompatible changes soonish as we have already accumulated quite a lot
> of deprecated legacy code.
>
> (2) Alternatively, we could be selectively removing deprecated code
> after a certain number of feature releases (two feature releases) and a
> certain grace period (approximately two years) and keep 5.0 for some
> really major changes such as HTTP/2.0 or HTTP/1.1bis. By the way, this
> is what we have done about stuff deprecated in 4.0 GA.
>
> I am leaning more towards option 2 and therefore would like to proceed
> with removal of code deprecated in the 4.1 release from the 4.3 branch
> (both HttpCore and HttpClient).
>
> What are your thoughts? What would be your preference?

Option 2 breaks binary compatibility, so is not suitable for all
libraries (e.g. it would not be suitable for Commons components, which
are likely to be referenced multiple times in the same classpath).

However, in the case of HC, it seems very unlikely that a single
classpath will contain multiple independent dependencies on HC.

So Option 2 seems the best way forward in this case.