hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1406998
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:54:26 GMT
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 07:33 -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > In Commons land we generate release notes automatically. Is there a
> > reason it is not done this like here?
> >
> > Gary
> >

> Gary
>
> No reason other than inertia on my part. I generally find it more
> manageable updating the release notes at the same time as committing a
> fix or a changeset to the repository rather than trying to generate
> release notes shortly before a release. Usually, come release, I can
> hardly remembering what all those issues were about. This also allows me
> to omit issues I deem unimportant. But as any manual process, I fully
> admit it can be error-prone.

It's the same process over there except that commits are made to code and
to a changes.xml file which is used to generate an HTML report (as part of
the Maven reports, see Commons IO [1] for example) and a txt file at
release time.

> I'll happily vacate the role of the release manager, though.

I think you are the best one for this project ATM. As for me, I do not know
its innards well enough yet ;)

Gary

[1] https://commons.apache.org/io/changes-report.html