hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Svnpubsub for dist archives
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:14:08 GMT
On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 01:47 +0000, sebb wrote:
> I propose to start working on setting up svnpubsub for dist/ archives,
> i.e. releases. This is an infra requirement which has to be done by
> the start of next year.
>
> First stage is to create the dev and release SVN trees under
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
>
> and get commit messages sent to the appropriate mailing list.
>
> I assume that the most suitable list is:
>
> commits@hc.a.o
>
> which is where all the other commits go.
>
> Finally we ask Infra to enable svnpubsub; after that point all
> releases will need to be done via the dist SVN repo.
>
> I suggest that svnpubsub is only enabled after the current release
> votes are completed, but the SVN directories and mailing lists can be
> set up now.
>
> The idea is that release candidates are uploaded to the staging area
>
> dev/httpcomponents/
>
> for review; once the vote passes the files are renamed to
>
> release/httpcomponents/
>
> This can be done with individual SVN commands, but it is much better
> to use svnmucc which can move all the files in a single transaction.
>
> I hope to be able to create a script to generate the svnmucc command
> list from Maven pom and assembly files but if not it's not too
> difficult to create the commands by hand.
>
> This will require a minor change to the release vote process.
> The files need to be uploaded to the new shared staging area, not
> individual user home directories. And the publish process will require
> using SVN rather than copy, but it can be done without needing to
> login to people.

Sebastian

I am aware we have to migrate our web site content generation to
svnpubsub. I was planning to work on it over Christmas (western style).
I had no idea dist archives had to be migrated as well. Probably both
migrations should be carried out at the same time.

If possible, I would like to have two more releases (HttpClient 4.2.3
and HttpClient 4.3-alpha1) with the old release process simply to avoid
unnecessary delays due to administrative or organizational issues. Once
HttpCore and HttpClient 4.3a1 are out and available for review by a
larger community we could concentrate on re-aligning our release process
with the ASF policies. I hope you'll agree.

However, preparatory work such as requesting SVN directories and setting
up mailing lists could be started immediately and done in parallel with
getting HttpClient 4.3a1 released.

Would that work for you?

Oleg