hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Clover, build instructions, and Cobertura
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:24:02 GMT
Hi All:

I just tried to build the 4.2.2 RC but could not complete the build because
I did not tell Maven where my Clover license is located (I do no have it on
this PC). As an ASF member, I have access to one, and thank you for
including that info in the BUILDING.txt file. So my sort term problem can
be fixed because I am in the ASF.

The first short term issue I have is that Clover usage should be documented
in each project, not only in httpcomponents-asyncclient. That would be nice
to add for 4.2.2/trunk.

The longer term issue is why use Clover as opposed to Cobertura which is
plain FOSS? I wonder what this community's experience is in this department.

Is Clover so much better? I've used it in the past and it works quite
nicely as does Cobertura. Sadly, I am not sure Cobertura is actively
maintained. Does anyone know?

I have two concerns with Closer:

(1) The licensing makes is harder for a non-ASF member to build and test.
(2) We are not easting our own FOSS dog food. This is more nebulous issue
and I do like being able to use best-of-breed solutions. So this last point
is philosophical.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/