hc-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Jaeggi <djae...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: HttpComponents in the Context Of OSGI-based CMS
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:17:44 GMT
hi

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > - do you agree that a central proxy configuration capability
> >   in the context of OSGi would benefit httpcomponents?
>
> I think so, as long as it is not specific to a particular OSGi container

it is not specific to a particular OSGi container.

> > - do you have any hints or ideas how the shutdown feature could
> >   be implemented?
> >

> Connection manager shutdown should work exactly the same way in HC 4.x
> as in HC 3.1. What kind of difficulties are you having with the new
> API?

in HC 3.1 there was a static method

    MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.shutdownAll();

that would shutdown all open connections based on this concrete
connection manager.

in HC 4 there doesn't seem to be a similar static method that would
shutdown connections of multiple active clients. in order for the OSGi
bundle to cleanly and timely shut down, the suggestion is to shut down
all active client connections. how to get at those in HC 4?

> We would happily accept such a contribution given that we have rather
> limited resources to work on things that are not directly related to
> HTTP.

i have created [0] for the contribution and attached an initial patch.
it may require cleanup as you may have different ideas about in which
package to put classes or in which pom to put dependencies. it also
still contains a TODO in the activator class regarding above mentioned
shutdown question. also, the activator would have to be put in the
osgi bundle's metadata.

if you require more work in the context of the patch, i have the time
and resources.

greetings
dom.

[0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1238