hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: URIBuilder setQuery() method inconsistent with other set methods
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:33:41 GMT
On 26 June 2012 13:43, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 12:13 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> The setQuery(String) method currently expects an escaped, ASCII-only
>> string - basically encoded form data - whereas all the other set
>> methods expect unescaped input.
>> This is a bit confusing.
>>

> Yes, I am aware of it. I was going to deprecate this method in 4.3 and
> replace it with something like #parseQuery.
>
>> AFAIK, a query string does not have to consist of name value pairs
>> (i.e. form data), it can be any arbitrary string.
>> There's currently no way for the end-user to provide such a query.
>> They would have to use the URI class.
>
> In this case it is basically a lone parameter without a value.

Yes and no; depends what is allowed for a parameter name.

Also, '+' only means space in the context of form data; otherwise it
is just another safe character in the query.

Presumably applications that use arbitrary query strings decode the
query differently from ones that expect form data.

>> Maybe that is OK, in which case we just need to clarify the URIBuilder
>> Javadoc to state that it is only intended for use with form data
>> queries.
>>
>> Perhaps there should be a setQuery(NVP) method which handles form data directly?
>>

> Makes sense. The question is whether we should add this method in 4.2.1
> or wait until 4.3.

It could wait.

As could providing support for non-form data query strings; the URI
class can be used meanwhile.