hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reverse-proxy
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 13:33:00 GMT
On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 17:44 +0200, Francois-Xavier Bonnet wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> In fact the reverse proxy is only one part of our project. It is called
> EsiGate http://www.esigate.org
> The goal of the project is to have a tool that can be used to retrieve some
> contents from different servers and aggregate them as a single web
> application. The library is often used embeded inside a webapp and it
> includes a reverse proxy servlet as well as taglibs and an implementation
> of ESI specification in order to be able to extract and transform the
> contents.
> So we definitely need to run inside a servlet container.
>
> The project is open source so if you see some things that could be
> interesting to other people we could think about integrating to HttpClient
> project.
>
> Francois-Xavier

Hi Francois-Xavier

I think what you are describing is commonly referred to as a content
proxy. Curiously enough, I had to develop something very similar for one
of my commercial contracts. I wish I had known about the project at that
time.

I understand you have good reasons for using the standard JEE API for
your platform. It does make good sense given the objectives of your
project. At the same time this might make it less likely to fit into the
existing project mix at HttpComponents. My main concern is that after
the initial contribution there will be no one to support and maintain
the module in the long run.

Oleg