hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache HttpClient 4.1.3 re-spin for Android
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:38:33 GMT
On 15 April 2012 13:29, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks
>
> It is not a big secret that Google decided to continue shipping the
> extremely outdated pre-BETA version of HttpClient instead of upgrading
> to a newer version and to steer Android users toward HttpUrlConnection
> API. I understand they must have their good reasons. At the same, those
> people who may not share Google's enthusiasm about having to migrate to
> HttpUrlConnection are left with no viable upgrade options as stock
> versions of HttpClient cannot be used in Android. A very common
> work-around to this problem is to move HttpClient code to a different
> namespace in order to avoid classloader conflicts with Android code.
> This can be done either using Maven Shade plugin or a script such as one
> developed by Dirk Boye [1]. The downside of this work-around is that the
> shaded HttpClient cannot be used with 3rd party libraries such as Spring
> compiled against the standard API.
>
> A better approach might be to 'shade' only implementation classes only
> and compile them against the API interfaces and classes shipped with
> Android. This could produce a reasonably up to date version of
> HttpClient which at the same time can be used as a drop-in replacement
> for the outdated Android version.

I'm not clear what exactly you are proposing to release.

> What I would like to do is to take HttpClient 4.1.3 release tag and
> create an Android compatible re-spin with a distinct Maven artifact from
> that tag.

Maven relies on the artifactId (and groupId, i.e. the coordinates) to
know how to build the dependency path.
So it's important to know what packages the proposed jars will contain.
And it's important not to mislead Maven by supplying incorrect coordinates.

Otherwise, Maven could combine incompatible jars on the same classpath
- with all the problems that can bring.

> If you think this is not a good idea please raise your concerns now. If
> I hear no objections, I'll proceed with the development of HttpClient
> version for Android and will call a release vote when ready.

Luckily it should be quite easy to test the behaviour on Android.
I've been playing with Eclipse and the ADT recently, so can provide
some feedback on that aspect.