hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2 release based on RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 01:48:07 GMT
On 23 April 2012 14:33, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 April 2012 12:21, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>> Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Core 4.2. The
>> vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes from
>> HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
>> three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.
>>
>> Packages:
>> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.2-RC1/
>>
>> Release notes:
>> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.2-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
>>
>> Maven artefacts:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-078/org/apache/httpcomponents/
>>
>> SVN tag:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/tags/4.2-RC1/

>>  Vote:  HttpComponents Core 4.2 release
>>  [ ] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents Core 4.2.

Sorry, I'm changing my vote:

>>  [X] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason).

I've just noticed that Clirr reports several compatibility issues against 4.1.

I've not investigated in any detail, but it looks as though at least
some of these are binary compatibility issues, and they appear to be
in public APIs.

It may be that these are not actually a problem, but I think they need
to be investigated further.
If the errors are harmless - or perhaps only affect source builds - it
would be helpful to update the site (and ideally release notes)
accordingly.

[No need to cancel the vote just yet, in case I'm wrong.]

BTW, we recently added test jars to the Commons Maven output.
This should make it easier to run old tests against new releases.