hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2 release based on RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:48:26 GMT
On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 20:30 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 24 April 2012 19:33, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
packages as HttpComponents Core 4.2. The
hours, and only votes from
binding. The vote passes if at least
and there are more +1 than -1 votes.

release
HttpComponents Core 4.2.

the packages (must include a reason).

compatibility issues against 4.1.

it looks as though at least

problem, but I think they need
only affect source builds - it
ideally release notes)

case I'm wrong.]

Commons Maven output.

> >> Which classes need to be deprecated?

> >> Not sure I follow what you mean here.
> >>

> > I already reverted the changes that made 4.2 binary incompatible with
> > 4.1 with exception of removal of deprecated code.

> >> Not possible, see below.

> >> That's not possible; obj.dostuff() can only have a single return type (or void).
> >>
> >> Compiler complains about a "duplicate method" otherwise.
> >>

> > Precisely. So, what is the point of including the return type in the
> > method signature?
>
> [I'm guessing here]
>
> The compiler checks that the caller of an API method is using the
> correct return type.
> It's obviously important that the same type is provided at run-time.
>
> If the return type were ignored by the loader when resolving method
> references, the JVM would have to do additional run-time checks on the
> return types.
> This allows the error to be detected earlier (and it's cheaper).

That sounds plausible. Performance does seem to be a factor here.

> >> I don't think they did make things more complex.
> >>

> > See above.

> >> I've made some fixes to the parent pom, because unfortunately the
> >> buildNumber plugin with javasvn implementation does not work with SVN
> >> 1.7+ clients.
> >>

> > Yes, I am still on version 1.6.x
> >
> >> I assume you have not yet upgraded, because the "Implementation-Build"
> >> headers are OK in the Manifests, so that can be fixed later.
> >>

> > Shall I go ahead and cut a new RC?
>
> OK.
>
> The remaining Clirr errors are for deprecated methods only, so I no
> longer have objections on that score.
>
> I see you have created new versions of the AbstractMessageParser
> sub-classes, so the old ones can be kept and deprecated.
> Solves the compat. problem without losing the type improvements. Excellent.
>
> It would be great if there were a similar solution for the Iterator
> classes that were reverted, but unfortunately that does not look
> possible, and the classes might well have been used/extended by 3rd
> parties. At least there are type-safe nextEntry() methods available
> for use.

I think similar approach could easily be used for iterator classes.
However, given there is a type-safe method I just felt it was not worth
the trouble.

If no other objections are raised, I'll start cutting RC2 tomorrow.

Cheers

Oleg