hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2 release based on RC1
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:13:18 GMT
On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 02:48 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 23 April 2012 14:33, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 21 April 2012 12:21, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Core 4.2. The
> >> vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes from
> >> HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
> >> three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.
> >>
> >> Packages:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.2-RC1/
> >>
> >> Release notes:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.2-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
> >>
> >> Maven artefacts:
> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-078/org/apache/httpcomponents/
> >>
> >> SVN tag:
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/tags/4.2-RC1/
> >>
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>  Vote:  HttpComponents Core 4.2 release
> >>  [ ] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents Core 4.2.
>
> Sorry, I'm changing my vote:
>
> >>  [X] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason).
>
> I've just noticed that Clirr reports several compatibility issues against 4.1.
>
> I've not investigated in any detail, but it looks as though at least
> some of these are binary compatibility issues, and they appear to be
> in public APIs.
>
> It may be that these are not actually a problem, but I think they need
> to be investigated further.
> If the errors are harmless - or perhaps only affect source builds - it
> would be helpful to update the site (and ideally release notes)
> accordingly.
>
> [No need to cancel the vote just yet, in case I'm wrong.]
>
> BTW, we recently added test jars to the Commons Maven output.
> This should make it easier to run old tests against new releases.

Sebastian

The reported differences in public APIs reported by Clirr are due to two
things (1) upgrade from Java 1.3 to Java 1.5 (2) removal of code
deprecated between 4.0-beta1 and 4.0 (that is, before 4.0 GA, more than
two years ago)

We had a discussion about pros and cons of upgrading to Java 1.5 and if
I remember it correctly you were in favor of that idea [1]. The changes
have also been announced early enough (several releases in advance) [2].
They do make 4.1 and 4.2 not fully binary compatible but I seriously
doubt there will be a single user affected by incompatibility.

I hope you will change your mind.

Oleg

[1] http://markmail.org/message/mcvcy4ylxwhalv6h
[2] http://markmail.org/message/2u3qk2fzig6umtaf