hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Apache HttpClient 4.1.3 re-spin for Android
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:29:42 GMT
Folks

It is not a big secret that Google decided to continue shipping the
extremely outdated pre-BETA version of HttpClient instead of upgrading
to a newer version and to steer Android users toward HttpUrlConnection
API. I understand they must have their good reasons. At the same, those
people who may not share Google's enthusiasm about having to migrate to
HttpUrlConnection are left with no viable upgrade options as stock
versions of HttpClient cannot be used in Android. A very common
work-around to this problem is to move HttpClient code to a different
namespace in order to avoid classloader conflicts with Android code.
This can be done either using Maven Shade plugin or a script such as one
developed by Dirk Boye [1]. The downside of this work-around is that the
shaded HttpClient cannot be used with 3rd party libraries such as Spring
compiled against the standard API.

A better approach might be to 'shade' only implementation classes only
and compile them against the API interfaces and classes shipped with
Android. This could produce a reasonably up to date version of
HttpClient which at the same time can be used as a drop-in replacement
for the outdated Android version.

What I would like to do is to take HttpClient 4.1.3 release tag and
create an Android compatible re-spin with a distinct Maven artifact from
that tag.

If you think this is not a good idea please raise your concerns now. If
I hear no objections, I'll proceed with the development of HttpClient
version for Android and will call a release vote when ready.

Oleg

[1] http://code.google.com/p/httpclientandroidlib/