hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpCore 4.1.4 and pipelined client
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:34:44 GMT
On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 18:34 +0000, Mark Thornton wrote:
> On 29/02/12 10:16, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > By the way, is anyone interested in seeing my handlers with (in order)
> > pipeline support?
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > You are also welcome to contribute such implementation to the project,
> > but ideally in this case it should be consistent with the 4.2 API
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Oleg
>
> One difficulty with the api is that I don't think a non idempotent
> request (e.g. POST) should be sent while there any outstanding responses
> in the pipeline. Doing so would make it difficult to identify the cause
> of a failure. A failure in one of the pipelined methods ahead of the
> post would also result in failure of the POST. However the callback
> methods (HttpAsyncRequestProducer.generateRequest,
> NHttpRequestExecutionHandler.submitRequest) in both 4.1 and 4.2 api
> don't provide any information on the state of any pipeline. So
> controlling submission of non idempotent methods has to be done on top
> which isn't ideal.

I am not sure individual message producers / consumers need to be aware
of pipelining aspects, but please do not feel constrained by the
existing API. Get your code working with the API you feel is the best.
Should you decide to contribute your code to the project, we'll see how
your code can be integrated into the 4.2 code line.

Oleg