hc-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thornton <mthorn...@optrak.com>
Subject Re: HttpCore 4.1.4 and pipelined client
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:45:19 GMT
On 28/02/12 12:31, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 10:50 +0000, Mark Thornton wrote:
>> I am trying to implement a pipelined client using 4.1.4 (Async client
>> and core 4.2 aren't yet GA). It would appear that
>> AsyncNHttpClientHandler does not permit pipelining.
> No, it does not. The expect-continue handshake support and request
> pipelining are pretty much mutually exclusive. Default protocol handlers
> shipped with HttpCore implement expect-continue handshaking as it is
> required by the HTTP/1.1 specification, while request pipelining is
> optional.

Not quite exclusive --- the expect handshake will force a pipeline flush
but pipelining can be used when there is no expect-continue outstanding.
Obviously it requires more work and additional synchronization between
send and receive parts. Will this change in 4.2?

> Hope this helps Oleg

Thanks very much, it does give me confidence to proceed. I am slightly
tempted to extend the protocol to permit out of order responses.

regards,
Mark Thornton