hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Async Server Keep Connections Open for HTTP 1.0
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:04:02 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:30:14AM -0500, Bill Speirs wrote:
> Fair enough... I'm going to change my current JIRA ticket as what I
> described in that ticket is not the proper way to "fix" the problem as
> Robert pointed out.
>
> Oleg, any ideas on how to go about fixing this? Things will get
> confusing fast as a 0.9, 1.0, or 1.1 request can come in, but the
> developer can send back a 0.9, 1.0, or 1.1 request. I'll look into
> it...

I think the problem can be addressed by making ResponseConnControl protocol interceptor take
the request version into accout and adding 'connection: close' header the response message
if there is no explict connection persistence control (no 'connection' header present) in
the HTTP/1.0 request.

Oleg

> Bill-
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> The only thing I found in the spec (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2068.txt)
> >> was in section 19.7: an HTTP 1.1 server should respond to a client with a
> >> message in the same major version number.

> >> I'll open an improvement request, because I don't think it's a bug.
> >> However, I've actaully been bit by this twice now; fool me once...
> >>
> >> Bill-
> >
> > Hi Bill
> >
> > I was wrong. A HTTP/1.1 compliant server should respond with a HTTP/1.1 response
to a HTTP/1.0 request but ensure that composition of the message is fully compatible with
HTTP/1.0.

> > So, there is a bug in the HttpCore protocol handling code. Please raise another
JIRA for this defect.