hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Async Server Keep Connections Open for HTTP 1.0
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:16:21 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 06:49:17AM +0100, Robert Olofsson wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:10:12 -0500
> Bill Speirs <bill.speirs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yea, so from that, and seeing the resulting action (hanging) from ab,
> > I'll submit a JIRA ticket and patch to set the response in the handle
> > method to the same HTTP version as the request.
>
> That is not what the rfc say. It say that the server should respond
> with the version it supports, but that it should not use persistent
> connections if the client is using http/1.0 or http/0.9.
>
> /robo

Actually there is a separate RFC (2145) that clarifies interoperability between different
versions of the HTTP protocol.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2145.html

---
2.3 Which version number to send in a message

   An HTTP server SHOULD send a response version equal to the highest
   version for which the server is at least conditionally compliant, and
   whose major version is less than or equal to the one received in the
   request.  An HTTP server MUST NOT send a version for which it is not
   at least conditionally compliant.  A server MAY send a 505 (HTTP
   Version Not Supported) response if cannot send a response using the
   major version used in the client's request.

   An HTTP server MAY send a lower response version, if it is known or
   suspected that the client incorrectly implements the HTTP
   specification, but this should not be the default, and this SHOULD
   NOT be done if the request version is HTTP/1.1 or greater.
---

Oleg