hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CachinghttpClient - per request Via headers could be cached
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:53:09 GMT
On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 23:21 +0300, Vasile Alin wrote:
> Since we handle a small number of protocols (such as HTTP and HTTPS
> 1.0 and 1.1), we could cache generated Via headers in
> CachingHttpClient. Each header takes around 3 seconds to create on my
> machine - Win7 64 bit, AMD Turion X2 & 4Gb of RAM - (would be
> interesting to find values for other platforms) and would worth
> improving this area by caching generated Via headers by putting them
> in a Map with a ProtocolVersion key.
>
> Tests show that having this cache in place reduces the time to
> generate a Via header for each request from 3 seconds to 8 millis.
> What do you think?
>
> Alin

Hi Alin

Jon is the authority on the subject of HTTP caching, so his opinion will
matter most. As far as I am concerned anything that can reduce execution
time from 3000 to 8 ms is worth pursuing. As always the best way to get
things done here at ASF is by raising a JIRA and submitting a patch.

Cheers

Oleg