hc-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Speirs <bill.spe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preemptive Basic auth not working?
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 02:14:05 GMT
Just enabled Debug logging via commons-logging. A simple log4j
properties file should do the trick.

Bill-

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Patrick Lightbody <patrick@lightbody.net> wrote:
> Oleg,
> Thanks for the quick reply. One question: Is that an API call, or simply turning on low-level
log statements for the BasicHttpContext class via commons-logging?

> Patrick
>
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 14:29 -0700, Patrick Lightbody wrote:
>>> I read the docs + examples for preemptive basic auth, but it still doesn't look
to be working. I started debugging the code and I'm actually not sure how it could work. Please
let me know if I'm misunderstanding how the internals of HttpClient works, but here's what
I observed:

>>> * RequestTargetAuthentication is responsible for adding the auth headers
>>> * RequestTargetAuthentication looks for an AuthState object that has non-null
scheme & creds objects that are used for the header
>>> * DefaultRequestDirector creates an empty AuthState object on each new request
(targetAuthState field)
>>> * DefaultRequestDirector only updates the targetAuthState fields after it makes
an initial request that returns a 401

>>> So what I'm finding in my debugging is that even though I've set up my CredentialsProvider
with the correct authScope + UsernamePasswordCredentials and that I've set my HttpContext
(global or local, doesn't matter) with the proper AuthCache + BasicScheme, I still end up
with two queries: 401 and then finally a 200.  In other words, it doesn't seem to be preemptive.

>>> Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding how
DefaultRequestDirector does it's loop inside execute()?