hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NHttpReverseProxy.java
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:10:29 GMT
On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 08:29 -0700, Patrick Lightbody wrote:
> Thanks for sharing the new async stuff. I'm curious about the example you linked to:
NHttpReverseProxy.java.

> Can you share a bit more about what that does exactly?

You can point NHttpReverseProxy at an external site (say www.apache.org)
and use a browser to access content of the target server through the
proxy. The client (browser) does not even need to know that the site it
is interacting with is actually a proxy. Hence the term reverse proxy.

>  I always get a bit confused when talk of "proxies" and "reverse proxies" come up. I
ask because I have an open source project that is using an old Jetty 5 proxy (w/ mods) that
was capable of doing SSL man-in-the-middle proxying (provided your browser had a special CA
installed). Wondering if we might be able to simplify the codebase with some of the stuff
you've been working on!

Proxies based on an async I/O model may be better suited for handling
very large number of connections most of which stay idle most of the
time. However, if you need to handle data transferred through the proxy
using standard InputStream / OutputStream abstraction the asynchronous
I/O model immediately becomes a royal pain in the rectum. You'll be much
better off using a servlet engine such as Jetty if your proxy is
intended to handle only a fairly moderate number of concurrent
connections (<500) and its content processing logic is based on
InputStream / OutputStream abstraction.

Hope this helps

Oleg