hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpParams appear to be static/global
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:29:49 GMT
On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 15:14 -0400, Bill Speirs wrote:
> What would be best, for my proxy, would be if I could have a thread
> (or pool of threads) waiting on read/write events from *either* the
> server socket(s) or the client socket(s). I do not believe that is
> possible though... does anyone know how to do that sort of thing?
> Using an ExecutorCompletionService was the only way I knew to
> accomplish this, but it required two pools of threads.
>
> Bill-

Bill,

A very common pattern for proxies (used by Apache Synapse, for instance)
is to have a small number of i/o dispatch threads (approx. as many as
the CPU cores) handling i/o events for incoming and outgoing connections
asynchronously and a larger pool of worker threads that are employed to
execute long, potentially blocking operations (such as content
transformation). I _suspect_ that is what you want.

Oleg