hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting Remote IP from IOEventDispatch
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:27:08 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 10:32 -0400, Bill Speirs wrote:
> In switching from the sync to async httpcore code I've lost a clean
> way to inject the remote IP address into the HttpContext. My sync code
> basically worked like this:
>
> final HttpService httpService = new HttpService(...);
> final HttpContext context = new BasicHttpContext();
>
> while(connection.isOpen()) {
> 	final String remoteAddr = connection.getRemoteAddress().getHostAddress();
>
> 	context.setAttribute("REMOTE_ADDRESS",
> connection.getRemoteAddress().getHostAddress());
>
> 	httpService.handleRequest(connection, context);
> }
>
> This allowed me to get the remote address in the handler. I want to
> reproduce this same functionality using the async code. My first
> thought was to create an EventListener and in the connectionOpen
> method, cast the NHttpConnection to a DefaultNHttpServerConnection,
> then get both remote address & context:
>

> public void connectionOpen(final NHttpConnection conn) {
>     DefaultNHttpServerConnection serverConn =
> (DefaultNHttpServerConnection)conn;
>
>     final String remoteAddress = serverConn.getRemoteAddress().getHostAddress();
>
>     serverConn.getContext().setAttribute("REMOTE_ADDRESS", remoteAddress);
> }
>
> The cast feels a bit clumsy, but since I'm always using a
> DefaultServerIOEventDispatch, I think I'm probably alright.
>
> Any thoughts on this? Is there a better way to go about this?

You can cast any HttpConnection object to HttpInetConnection in order to
get access to its endpoint details. Alternatively, you can override the
IOEventdispatch#connected method(), get the remote address off the
actual IOSession instance and add it an attribute to the same session by
using IOSession#setAttribute(String, Object). The attribute will show up
in the context of the connection associated with that session.

Hope this helps

Oleg