hc-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Speirs <bill.spe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpCore-NIO Logging
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:11:24 GMT
Sorry for the taking so long to respond...

> Different people tend to prefer different logging frameworks and there
> is no way to make everyone happy. One can still add logging support
> relatively easy by using logging classes from the contrib package:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/httpcore-contrib/src/main/java/org/apache/http/contrib/logging/
>
> You would need to implement a custom IOEventDispatch in order to use
> custom HTTP connection class instead of the default one.

I realize that logging can sometimes be a contentious issue and I'm
not trying to pick a fight; however, the choice to use Apache Commons
logging for the Http Client and I'm not sure why that same decision
wouldn't simply be extended to the server? Maybe I'm in the minority
that is using both client and server together so the beautiful support
of logging in the client and lack of such logging in the server is
more striking to me than others. So one last plea to extend Apache
Commons logging to the server. I'd be willing to help with this effort
as well...

Bill-