hc-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Speirs <bill.spe...@gmail.com>
Subject HttpClient Performance Issues
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:03:26 GMT
I am having performance issues with the HttpClient. I first noticed
these issues in my own code, but they are repeatable in the
httpclient-benchmark code as well.

I have an httpd server setup with a 45 byte static page on a machine
on the same network leg as the machine making the requests. When I run
ab against this server I get the following:

Concurrency Level:      100
Time taken for tests:   0.175542 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      283000 bytes
HTML transferred:       45000 bytes
Time per request:       17.554 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       0.176 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          1572.27 [Kbytes/sec] received

When I run the benchmark (compiling just TestHttpClient4.java) against
this server I get the following:

Concurrency level:      100
Time taken for tests:   6.906 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Content transferred:    45000 bytes

I can understand that ab might be a bit faster than HttpClient, but
going from 5K requests per second to 150 requests per second is MUCH
slower.

I wrapped the HttpResponse response = httpclient.execute(request);
line with calls to System.currentTimeMillis(); and then printed the
time for the execute() function. Most of the calls are 0 - 3ms;
however there are some calls to execute() that are as high as 6,900ms!

What could be taking almost 6 seconds to make the request? Is this the
garbage collector pausing the test?

Thoughts?

Environment:

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Bill-