hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fluent HttpClient
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2011 18:47:40 GMT
On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 16:48 +0300, Xu, Lilu wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I've accomplished the parts of proxy [1], authentication [2], connection
> manager [3] and connection manager builder [4]. Some "to me not so
> important" methods are ignored this time.
> The progress of the development can still be observed in google doc [4]. I
> think it should be quite possible to have all essential features listed in
> the progress table by the end of July.
>
> Comments and suggestions (both the codes and the progress) are welcomed!
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/fluent-hc/wiki/ProxyConfiguration
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/fluent-hc/wiki/HttpAuthentication
> [3] http://code.google.com/p/fluent-hc/wiki/FluentClientConnManager
> [4] http://code.google.com/p/fluent-hc/wiki/ConnManagerBuilder

Hi Lilu

Truth to be told I am not sure I like ConnManagerBuilder /
FluentClientConnManager that much. I always felt that a FluentExecutor
encapsulating DefaultHttpClient and ThreadSafeClientConnManager would
have probably been a more elegant solution. This would also enable us to
decouple HttpClient and request execution related methods from
FluentRequest.

Just a thought.

> [5]
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmpiN3H1I3fndFBaOHpoSzI4MHlMS3RaSVg3ZEFrUkE&hl=en_US&authkey=CJTnkIoG

I think we have the almost essential bits already in place. From all
missing features listed in the spreadsheet only multi-threaded request
execution is really a must in my opinion. I would very much rather
prefer that you concentrated on polishing features that are already
there instead of adding more.

Please look into multi-threaded request execution as the step. As soon
as it is done we should start making plans for an official ALPHA release
of FluentHC.

Oleg