hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bad link from Commons
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:28:44 GMT
On 13 June 2011 20:38, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 00:49 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> The link:
>>
>> Commons Httpclient (http://commons.apache.org/httpclient/)
>>
>> is currently redirected as follows:
>>
>> Redirect Permanent /httpclient  http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x
>>
>> However, that does not exist; HC 3.1 is now at
>>
>> http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-legacy/
>>
>> Instead, there are the following redirects:
>>
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/index.html /httpcomponents-client-ga/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/userguide.html /httpcomponents-client-ga/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/tutorial.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/methods.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/sslguide.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/authentication.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/threading.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/features.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/cookies.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/redirects.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/tutorial/html/
>> Redirect permanent /httpclient-3.x/logging.html
>> /httpcomponents-client-ga/logging.html
>>
>> I don't understand why HC3.x redirects to the current version of HttpClient.
>> Would it not be better to redirect to the 3.x documentation, but add a
>> warning at the top of the index page to explain that the current HC is
>> elsewhere?
>>

> Sebastian,
>
> That was the only way I could think of to make Google top search results
> refer to the latest HC version. See HTTPCLIENT-1029 [1] for details.

I see.

Google does now direct searchers to
hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga so perhaps it has now caught up
(or maybe the redirect has done its job).

> Feel free to remove those redirects or point them at a different
> location.

I think the best is to drop the redirects, but first ensure that the
HC 3.1 page(s) are updated to direct users to the new code.
That should be done anyway.

I'll work towards that.