hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fluent HttpClient
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:40:58 GMT
On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 03:09 +0300, Xu, Lilu wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I tried my best to design an elegant interface of setting HTTP parameters.
> But it seems quite hard to do so. Now I have almost done this part, please
> have a look at it [1] and drop me some feedback.

Hi Lilu

Overall I think you are on the right track. However please do not get
carried away. You do not have to match every feature provided by
HttpClient. The main purpose of the fluent facade is to provide an
easier interface for the most _commons_ use cases. For instance, I
really do not think there is a need to support protocol interceptors or
parameter initialization by HashMap with the fluent API. Please stay
focused on the most essentials things: timeout parameters, proxy
configuration, connection pool configuration, etc. Ignore those
parameters that do not look important to you. Those parameters can
always be added later, if needed. Try to avoid polluting the API with
too many non-important things and do try to cover as much ground as
possible. It would be nice to have all essential features in place by
the end of July.

> Next step I will try to cover the authentication part. Much appreciated if
> you could provide some suggestions to help me get starting.

Keep it simple. Just implement methods for setting CredentialsProvider
or a single set of Credentials initially. Use AuthScope.ANY per default,
but having a means of setting a more specific auth scope for credentials
would be nice.

Hope this helps

Oleg