hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Keeping track of Socket Timeout set time
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:20:01 GMT
On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 13:22 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've come across this following case:
> 1. We establish an outgoing connection and set the socket timeout to 5
> seconds (Time = t0 )
> 2. After receiving the response, we want to keep the socket open for
> reuse for 30 seconds, and we update the timeout (Time = t1)
> 3. After 6 seconds since #2 above, we get an opportunity to reuse this
> connection, and again we set the socket timeout to 5 seconds
> 4. Almost immediately, the BaseIOReactor timeout check most definitely
> notices that the time the socket was last used (t1) is over 5 seconds
> from the current time, and times out the socket
>
> I've made a patch to overcome this, but would like to hear if there are
> any comments on it before applying..

Hi Asankha

The patch breaks API compatibility by adding an extra method to
IOSession interface. I do not want to turn API compatibility into a
complete absurdity, but we certainly cannot break API for patch
releases.  I am afraid we will have to resort to using an optional
interface in order to get additional details which are not exposed
through the IOSession interface.

Please also raise a JIRA for this issue.

> PS: I've also been writing a ChunkDecoder capable of being a
> FileContentDecoder.. and want to submit it for review.

Oh! That is a tough task last time I looked. Looking forward to the
patch. Do you also plan to enhance ChunkEncoder?

>  Oleg, do you have
> any plans of making the 4.1.2 release soon?

Yes, within a week or two

Cheers

Oleg