hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [HttpCore] upgrade to Java 1.5
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 20:04:02 GMT
Folks

Java 1.3 compatibility has become a liability for the project. Instead
of expanding our user base it simply prevents us form using newer
language features such as generics and annotations.

It simply no longer makes any sense.

Let me propose the following:

* release HttpCore 4.1.1 and state in the release notes that version
4.1.1 is going to be the last 1.3 compatible release
* discontinue support for Java 1.3 in the 4.2 branch (trunk) and upgrade
to Java 1.5 as a minimal JRE level.
* remove code deprecated between 4.0-beta1 and 4.0 GA releases (over two
years ago)

This would enable us to do several things:

* start using JUnit 4 and Mockito for testing core classes. Mockito
makes testing of non-trivial code _massively_ easier.
* move org.apache.http.annotation from HttpClient to HttpCore and start
using them to document behavior of core classes with regards to thread
safety (@ThreadSafe, @Immutable, @NonThreadSafe, etc)
* Move low level connection pooling classes from HttpClient and
HttpAsyncClient to HttpCore. Those classes make heavy use of generics.
Non-blocking client side is simply useless without support for
connection pooling.

Please let me know if you have any objections or alternative proposals.

Oleg