hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Server Cookies
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:49:35 GMT
On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 15:07 -0400, Bill Speirs wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > Last time I looked at Tomcat's source, which admittedly was a long time
> > ago, there was something called Coyote connector. Coyote is basically a
> > low level server-side HTTP transport.
>
> Purely for historical interest, which was started first: tomcat's
> coyote or http-components? I can search the Internet if no one here
> knows off the top of their head.

Coyote was first by a great margin. That was before my time, but as far
as I know the very first version of HttpClient (1.x) was written by the
same developer who wrote some really big chunks of Coyote's code.

> > Not entirely impossible but I would consider a Martian invasion more
> > likely. There is simply no convincing reason for any of established
> > Servlet engines to drop their custom HTTP code in favor of HttpCore.
> > Anyone to suggest such an idea would be laughed at.
>
> Well I appreciate you not laughing at me... at least in your e-mail
> :-) It's just too bad to see such duplication of work IMO.

ASF is full of overlapping or competing projects. There are two web
service frameworks, several web application frameworks, there are two
more HTTP client implementations (I am aware of) besides HttpClient.
Effort duplication is inevitable in open-source projects where decision
making is often driven by ego and personal preferences rather than
purely rational terms such as efficiency and return of investment.

HttpCore can be useful for development of custom HTTP proxies, gateways
or ESBs where a consistent API for both client and server communication
makes good sense, but purely as an HTTP server there is simply no
convincing reasons to choose HttpCore over, say, Jetty.

Cheers

Oleg