hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ConnectionShutdownException when trying to get metrics after HEAD request
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:51:39 GMT
On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 13:20 +0100, sebb wrote:
> The following code works fine for GET:
>
>             HttpResponse httpResponse =
> httpClient.execute(httpRequest, localContext);
>             HttpConnection conn = (HttpConnection)
> localContext.getAttribute(ExecutionContext.HTTP_CONNECTION);
>             HttpConnectionMetrics metrics = conn.getMetrics();
>
> but fails on the getMetrics() call when the request is HEAD:
>
>         org.apache.http.impl.conn.ConnectionShutdownException
> 	at org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractClientConnAdapter.assertValid(AbstractClientConnAdapter.java:154)
> 	at org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractClientConnAdapter.getMetrics(AbstractClientConnAdapter.java:190)
>
> Is that intentional? Surely the metrics should still be valid?

That's because responses to HEAD requests do not enclose any content
body, so the HTTP connection is returned back to the pool immediately.

We could make the AbstractClientConnAdapter class keep a copy of
connection metrics even after the underlying HTTP connection is released
back to the pool.

Feel free to raise a JIRA for this issue.

Oleg