hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HTTP Put setChunking(false) yet still sends chunked data
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:41:47 GMT
On 22 March 2011 10:07, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 18:34 -0500, hanasaki wrote:
>> Using http client 4.1 with an http put and a route through a squid proxy
>> to a basic-authentication http server.  Not proxy auth in this case.
>> The file upload is going through chunked dispite setting chunking off.
>> I used the below example with POST as a template for the client code and
>> set chunking to false.  The PUT is going up as chunked.  This was
>> verified with wireshark capturing the "not supported" coming back from
>> squid (2.x) as well as decoding the http PUT that went to squid.
>>
>> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/examples.html
>> http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/advanced_info.html
>>
>> ref:
>>              reqEntity.setChunked(true); <= I set to FALSE
>>              httppost.setEntity(reqEntity);
>>

> If the entity's content length is not known (set to -1) HttpClient has
> no other choice but to use chunk coding.
>
> When sending requests via an HTTP/1.0 proxy such as squid 2.x make sure
> to configure HttpClient to use HTTP/1.0. This will automatically disable
> content chunking.

I propose adding the following to
.AbstractHttpEntity.setChunked(boolean b) Javadoc:

Note that the chunked setting is a hint only.
If using HTTP/1.0, chunking is never performed.
Otherwise, even if chunked is false, HttpClient must
use chunk coding if the entity content length is
unknown (-1)

Is that OK?

BTW, what happens when an unknown entity length is used in HTTP/1.0?