hc-dev mailing list archives

From alin vasile <alinachegal...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Trimming port 80 in request Host header
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:08:47 GMT
Hi Oleg,

    Thanks for your advice. It proves that that method family is final and the determineTarget(HttpUriRequest
request) method, where would be the ideal routine for the tweak, is static.

    This was more a suggestion/nice-to-have than a real isue, so one can live happily with
it.

Regards,
Alin

________________________________
From: Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>
To: alin vasile <alinachegalati@yahoo.com>
Cc: "dev@hc.apache.org" <dev@hc.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: Trimming port 80 in request Host header

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 03:20 -0800, alin vasile wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I noticed that when the default port is specified explicitly in the requested URL
address, http-client 4.1  will use it in the 'Host' header. The HTTP 1.1 specification doesn't
deny this, but the same scenario can't be reproduced with any modern browser. Would be any
issues if httpclient will have the same behaviour?

> Sample code:
>
> DefaultHttpClient httpclient = new DefaultHttpClient();
> HttpGet httpget = new HttpGet("http://www.google.ro:80/");
> HttpResponse response = httpclient.execute(httpget);
>
> Log:
> [DEBUG] DefaultClientConnection - Sending request: GET / HTTP/1.1
> [DEBUG] headers - >> GET / HTTP/1.1
> [DEBUG] headers - >> Host: www.google.ro:80
> [DEBUG] headers - >> Connection: Keep-Alive
> [DEBUG] headers - >> User-Agent: Apache-HttpClient/4.1 (java 1.5)
>
> And some added test cases in org.apache.http.protocol.TestStandardInterceptors that currently
fail:

> public void testRequestTargetHostPort443Generated() throws Exception {
>         HttpContext context = new BasicHttpContext(null);
>         HttpHost host = new HttpHost("somehost", 443, "https");
>         context.setAttribute(ExecutionContext.HTTP_TARGET_HOST, host);
>         BasicHttpRequest request = new BasicHttpRequest("GET", "/");
>         RequestTargetHost interceptor = new RequestTargetHost();
>         interceptor.process(request, context);
>         Header header = request.getFirstHeader(HTTP.TARGET_HOST);
>         assertNotNull(header);
>         assertEquals("somehost", header.getValue());
>     }
>
>     public void testRequestTargetHostPort80Generated() throws Exception {
>         HttpContext context = new BasicHttpContext(null);
>         HttpHost host = new HttpHost("somehost", 80, "http");
>         context.setAttribute(ExecutionContext.HTTP_TARGET_HOST, host);
>         BasicHttpRequest request = new BasicHttpRequest("GET", "/");
>         RequestTargetHost interceptor = new RequestTargetHost();
>         interceptor.process(request, context);
>         Header header = request.getFirstHeader(HTTP.TARGET_HOST);
>         assertNotNull(header);
>         assertEquals("somehost", header.getValue());
>     }
>
> Regards,
> Alin

Alin

I do not think that a core protocol interceptor is the right place for
such a tweak. The problem can be dealt with in a much better way by
overriding the AbstractHttpClient#execute(HttpUriRequest) method [1] and
stripping away default ports for known schemes when building HttpHost
instance from the request URI.

Hope this helps

Oleg

[1]