hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing the site footer
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:22:40 GMT
On 7 February 2011 20:08, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 18:11 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> Turns out that it's easy to update the default-site.vm template to add
>> the required footer - either as fixed text, or as text that can be
>> passed in as a property.
>> Unfortunately, as soon as one uses a custom site template, the site
>> plugin assumes that one will provide all the images and CSS files -
>> none of the defaults are copied across. This is also easy to fix -
>> just add the missing files to the resources directory.
>>
>> However, this only works for the HC Parent Pom, as the site.vm is
>> loaded relative to the parent project folder.
>>
>> I also looked at creating a background image instead, but there is a
>> lot of text, and it would be hard to make it look OK except at
>> specific screen resolution and browser window size. Although easy to
>> use, I think that's a non-starter.
>>
>> So it looks like the best solution is to create a Maven Skin project
>> and install the jar which can then be used in all the HC projects.
>> (Same as was done for the notice plugin).
>>
>> I propose to start on that shortly (I've done a lot of the work
>> already whilst investigating how to update the footer).
>>

> +1
>
> Many thanks for taking care of that.

OK, no problem.

I think it's working OK now.

I've uploaded to the snapshot repo, so if anyone wants to test they
should be able to do so.

There's a sample of the HC front page here:

http://people.apache.org/~sebb/stagingSite/

None of the module links work as I only created the top-level site (mvn -N)

If people are happy with it, then I can start a vote to release the skin.