hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing the site footer
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 15:44:01 GMT
On 8 February 2011 13:18, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 03:03 +0000, sebb wrote:
>

>> > Thanks for working on this Sebastian! Looks good.. I can imagine many other
>> > projects would be finding it difficult to get this done too. Maybe you could
>> > share a few details with other pmcs' too
>>
>> I was planning on mentioning it to Commons at least, once any bugs are
>> ironed out.
>> I've not yet removed the duplicates of the CSS and images from the
>> parent project - this may cause issues.
>> [If so, we can just keep the duplicates and document the need to keep
>> them in step]
>>
>> It looks like each TLP will need to create their own skin in order to
>> have the correct logo etc.
>>
>> Unless we can keep the local customisations in project, and the
>> standard stuff in the skin - I've not tried that yet.
>> I may try tomorrow.
>>
>> The proper solution would be for the default stylesheet to be updated
>> to allow more customisation (I've raised a JIRA for this) but I
>> suspect that will take too long.
>
> Looks good to me.
>
> Maven and its site plugin especially have historically been a major pain
> in the rectum for non-trivial tasks. It might be time to start
> considering alternatives.

I agree it's a pain, IMO mainly because the Maven documentation is lacking.
Large areas of built-in processing are not documented at all - for
example the site.xml <custom> tag is only mentioned in passing.
And there is broken functionality that is not fixed, just worked round
(e.g. DOXIA-150)

However, I think I've got the custom template working better now.

I've changed it to use the <custom> tag in site.xml, so we can just add:

  <custom>
    <footer>
Apache, the Apache feather logo, and the Apache HttpComponents project
logo are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.</div>
or registered trademarks of their respective owners.</div>
    </footer>
  </custom>

and have the HTML added to the footer just before the copyright.

Also, it seems that using a custom skin does not override the custom
CSS and images, so the skin can be generic.

I'll be uploading a new version soon.