hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update of parent Pom - change versioning scheme?
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:48:53 GMT
On 9 February 2011 12:54, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 22:51 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> Assuming that the Maven Skin vote succeeds and it is released, I think
>> we'll need to release a new version of the HC parent POM.
>>
>> At present its version appears to be tied to the client and core versions.
>>
>> I think it might be easier if the parent had a separate release cycle,
>> with a separate version scheme.
>> For example, Commons has just a single digit versioning scheme, like
>> the Apache parent Pom.
>>
>> There probably also ought to be trunk and tags SVN directories for it.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> A very formal release process for a common parent project definitely
> makes sense for Commons where a dozen of fairly different projects with
> different groups of developers depend on it. I would prefer to keep
> things simple for HC, if possible.

We release the parent POM to Maven Central.
There's no Java code involved but there is source which is used by
Maven, so I think we probably ought to have a vote (as we did for the
plugin).

There's almost nothing to check, so voting should be pretty simple.
And once it has a separate versioning scheme, it can be released independently.

> I have no problem with a different (single digit) versioning scheme,
> though.

OK, we could start with 5 (which I think is bigger than 4.1.1 in Maven terms).