hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fluent interface to httpclient in Stanbol, should that move here?
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:48:57 GMT
On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 10:05 +0100, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Would it make sense to have such an API as an optional component in
> this project?

Hi Bertrand

In my opinion, it would. Big time. Given the bad rap that HttpClient
gets for what some see as being over-complex, a simpler API for common
use scenarios would make a lot of sense. However, I always felt such API
should come from an external contributor, from someone with new ideas
and a different perspective on things.

>  That would probably not provide access to the whole
> httpclient feature set, but rather provide a very simple way of
> executing http requests for the most common use cases.
>
> If yes I'm happy to contribute that code here, assuming the stanbol
> folks (where this code currently resides [2]) agree to let it go. I'll
> be using that code in various testing scenarios in Stanbol, Sling and
> $dayjob, so planning to keep maintaining it, it's not just a fun
> short-term experiment.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I think it would be a very welcome contribution to the project.

There is a few things that need to be looked at before the source code
from Stanbol moves over to HC. First of all, you will need to decide
whether the new module should have the same release cycle with
HttpClient or be developed and released independently. Both approaches
have pros and cons. Sharing the same release cycle with HttpClient would
likely require more synchronization with the rest of the HC team and
probably create pressure to freeze the API rather sooner than later. A
separate release cycle would give you more freedom with choosing release
dates and making decisions about API compatibility, but would also
require more management overhead. Be warned: HC is a small time project
with just a handful of committers and getting those three petty bindings
votes might be a challenge some times.

As soon as you have those things worked out with the rest of Stanbol
folks, we can get you the necessary SVN karma and have you hack away ;-)

Cheers

Oleg