hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Voting on releases; Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0-alpha1 release based on RC1
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:37:36 GMT
On 14 January 2011 15:40, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 15:13 +0000, Moore, Jonathan wrote:
>> As a general rule, what should I be looking at as an "informed voter"? I'm
>> pretty familiar with the contents of the caching module, and think the
>> content there is ready for release...is that enough for the vote, or do we
>> also double-check the artifacts (I.e. Do we verify maven did its job
>> right, etc.)? What else do people look at?
>>

> There are no specific guidelines I know of. Various people look at
> various things prior to casting a vote. I personally mostly rely on my
> gut feel. If I have been following a project on a regular basis and am
> convinced its design / architecture / QA process are adequate and
> believe that the particular piece of code being released is in a good
> shape I usually check only a few things, such as whether or not the
> release artifacts can be built from source distribution and the
> resultant artifacts meet ASL legal requirements (NOTICE and LICENSE bits
> are present, etc). Given those criteria I feel comfortable casting a
> vote.

Also, the source archives should not contain anything that is not in
the SVN tag (or is at least derivable from the tag).

Ideally try building and testing on a variety of different platforms
and JVMs - in particular the target JVM!

I also check the hashes and signatures, and that the zip / tar.gz
archives agree with each other.
[Automatic hash generation was broken in one Maven version - since fixed]
Sigs must use a key that is in KEYS and available from key servers.

> By the way: we DO encourage all members of the community to cast a vote
> on releases even if their votes are non binding. Often a PMC member with
> a binding vote may decide to vote differently based on feedback given by
> other people.

+1

It's always useful to know if others can successfully build and test
the code - or not, as sometimes happens!