hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Client 4.1 release based on RC2
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:46:41 GMT
On 17 January 2011 12:37, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 11:14 +0000, ant elder wrote:

>> When i try building the src for this i get two fails, is that expected:
>>
>> Tests in error:
>>   testUseRetryHandlerInConnectionTimeOutWithThreadSafeClientConnManager(org.apache.http.impl.client.TestRequestRetryHandler)
>>   testUseRetryHandlerInConnectionTimeOutWithSingleClientConnManager(org.apache.http.impl.client.TestRequestRetryHandler)
>>
>> Tests run: 520, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0
>>

> @Ant
>
> Damn. These two cases have been failing intermittently for quite some

AIUI, the failures are not intermittent.
If the tests fail on a given system, they will continue to do so
unless the DNS service is changed.

> due to their reliance on DNS name resolution, which tends to be behave
> differently on different platforms.

I think it's the DNS servers that vary. Some are not compliant with the RFCs.

> I tinkered with the test cases
> shortly before building RC2, but I was not careful enough. While the
> tests passed locally for me, they kept on failing on Hudson. I reworked
> the tests once again and this time I believe the problem has been
> resolved for good. Unfortunately the fix did not make it into RC2.
>
> If you think this is a release blocker I will call off the release and
> will cut RC3 later today.
>
> @Sebastian, what is your take?

I don't think it's a blocker to release code with known bugs,
especially test case bugs.

But it would be sensible to note this in the release notes on the
web-site and perhaps in the announce to the dev/user lists to
forestall any complaints.