hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Client 4.1 release based on RC1
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:52:13 GMT
On 14 January 2011 18:32, Moore, Jonathan <Jonathan_Moore@comcast.com> wrote:
> Re: bogus.example.com. I agree this isn't perfect, although I think the
> likelihood of this hostname appearing is low, given that example.com is
> reserved and run by IANA. Perhaps add a comment or unit test failure
> message to that effect (I.e. "If I break, please check whether
> bogus.example.com has become DNS-resolvable before other debugging
> efforts."). This is likely a better bang-for-the-buck solution than trying
> to debug the vagaries of DNS resolution of completely invalid TLDs on
> various OS (especially the one the CI server runs on).

What do you mean by completely invalid TLDs?

The TLD ".invalid" is not invalid in the sense that it is not
syntactically correct.

And choosing a subdomain of a valid domain will not work with DNS
providers such as OpenDNS.

Note that example.com is defined as reserved by
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2606.html, which also defines ".invalid"
as a TLD.