hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Allow access to default HttpParams
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:35:46 GMT
On 13 December 2010 15:08, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 11:20 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> For HC 3.1, JMeter supports a configuration file which can be used to
>> set up global defaults.
>>
>> There is no concept of global defaults in HC 4.x, but one can
>> initialise HttpClient with a DefaultedHttpParams to get similar
>> functionality.
>>
>> The method DefaultHttpClient.createHttpParams() creates a default set
>> of parameters (HttpVersion etc.), however it is not static (so it
>> means creating a temporary HttpClient) and it forces one to use
>> SyncBasicHttpParams.
>>
>> This makes it harder than it could be to create the initial parameter set.
>>
>> I think it would be useful to expose the defaults as a static method,
>> with parameter HttpParams, and call that from createHttpParams().
>>
>> Any objections to adding that?
>
> I guess not.

OK, I propose to create:

public static void setDefaultHttpParams(HttpParams)

>> Or is there a better way of achieving the same goal?
>> Perhaps the defaults belong in AbstractHttpClient?
>>

> Overriding AbstractHttpClient#determineParams() method and returning a
> stack consisting of request, client and global parameters would probably
> be the least intrusive.

Unfortunately that's not entirely suitable for JMeter, which needs to
be able to override the httpclient defaults.

And the approach would still use SyncBasicHttpParams for the defaults.
It's not easy to copy the parameters from SyncBasicHttpParams into
BasicHttpParams, as there is no iterator, and the copy(params) method
is protected.

Further, all the work re-arranging the parameter stack would have to
be done for each request, instead of once per httpclient creation.

==

I think there should be a public method which gives access to a
read-only copy of the parameters.
This could either be done by:
* changing BasicHttpParams#copyParams(HttpParams target) to be public,
in which case we probably need to add a synch. version to the
subclass.
* or, provide public access to a read-only iterator (again, might need
to have synch. version for the subclass).

Note: I have got a work-round for JMeter, but it is a bit messy.

It seems to me that other application code may have similar use cases
- it would certainly be useful to be able to enumerate HttpParams for
debugging purposes.