hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for servers that cannot handle Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:00:05 GMT
On 21 December 2010 09:17, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 17:18 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> Some JMeter users are reporting problems with Post requests which contain:

>> in mult-part form data.
>>
>> It appears that some server code cannot handle the CTE header, and so
>> users are asking for the header to be optional.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the CTE 8bit header is not strictly necessary
>> for recipients to be able to process the part.
>>
>> The header value defined by the StringBody class.
>> One way round this for JMeter would be to define a new sub-class and
>> override the getTransferEncoding() method.
>>
>> But it seems to me that potentially other user agents may need to
>> suppress or change the header, so perhaps the class needs some way to
>> configure the CTE value?
>>

> Have you tried the browser compatibility mode? HttpMime generates only a
> minimal set of headers (content-type and content-disposition for binary
> bodies) in this mode.

Ah - I did not know about that.
I'll try that later.

>> ==
>>
>> By the way, the ContentDescriptor#getTransferEncoding() Javadoc says
>> that the value must not be null, yet
>> FormBodyPart.generateTransferEncoding() specifically checks for null,
>> and does not generate the field if the value is null.
>>
>> May I correct the Javadoc?
>>

> There is no need to ask for a permission. This project is yours as much
> as it is mine.

Sorry, very badly worded.

What I really meant was - is the Javadoc incorrect, or is the code incorrect?

See also
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1037

where there is a similar issue with mimeType.

If the browser compat mode is intended to be used to suppress the
headers, maybe the Javadoc is correct, and the FormBodyPart code is
wrong?