hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE and LICENCE file annoyances
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:28:49 GMT
On 22 October 2010 12:09, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 16:22 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
>> Thanks for the explanation Oleg..
>>
>> In this case I vote for option (2). This is a simple file that will
>> hardly change with releases..
>>

> NOTICE files are not release specific but they need to be updated on a
> yearly basis at the very least. Moreover, if we ever need to have more
> stuff in NOTICE such as attribution clauses required by some licenses,
> we would have to do that in a good dozen places.

Strictly speaking, attribution clauses should go in the NOTICE file
for the modules that use them only.
So for example if cache needed a NOTICE entry, that would go in the
cache NOTICE file and the overall NOTICE file only.

> Basically NOTICE files suck. So, some kind of an automated process would
> help make them suck less.

IMO the problem is not with the NOTICE files, it is with Maven.
Maven makes a lot of things easy, but some things difficult or impossible.